The Colourful Consultation consists of 20 webinars that cover the non-clinical skills required to conduct each of the 5 types of consultations within first opinion companion animal veterinary practice.
- The Primary Consultation
- The Follow-up Recheck Consultation
- The Long-term Medication Consultation
- The Euthanasia Consultation
- The Preventative Healthcare Consultations / vaccinations
Upon completion of this course you will be confident about how to prepare for and deliver each of the 5 most common types of veterinary consultation in first opinion practice.
Learning objectives relating to the Primary Consultation
- Understand how and why how appointment bookings are made impacts the consultation
- How to make an excellent first impression – and why this is is 'influential'
- How to recognise, understand and use “ICEBERGS”
- Tips to emphasise your sense of thoroughness during the clinical examination
- Tips to improve how clients restrain their pets during the clinical examination
- The importance of the Problem List
- Understanding the impact of uncertainty / doubt…and our tendency to allow it to turn into self-doubt
- How to and how NOT to articulate a Differential Diagnoses list
- The only 3 clinical resolution strategies that exist in first opinion practice
- How to blend consensus-based decision making with clinical reasoning
- How to discuss finances and formulate affordable care options for each client
- Creating estimates and discussing prices, charges, and encouraging payment
- The impact on follow-up compliance of handing clients back to reception post-consult
Learning objectives relating to the Follow-Up Re-check Consultation
- How to 'take command' of re-check consultations that you didn't see for the primary
- How to summarise the previous consultation succinctly
- The 4 'differential diagnoses' of the unresponsive patient
- How to 'justify' the follow-up re-check consultation fee to the client
Learning objectives relating to the Follow-Up Long Term Medical Patient Consultation
- How to 'take command' of long-term medical consultations that you haven't seen before
- How to track and summarise the patient's previous medicla status / care plan succinctly
- How to use the Monitor-Measure-Medicate approach for the 20 most common LT medical cases
Learning objectives relating to the Euthanasia Consultation
- How to take and be in command of the 'euthanasia ceremony' assertively but compasionately
- Summarising the process
- The major decisions and impact of doing / not doing: sedation? catheterisation?
- Anticipating complications
- Discussing cremation options in a sensitive manner
- Expressing condolences
Learning objectives relating to the Vaccination / Preventative Healthcare Consultation
- Using the PREVENT IT acronym to enable thoroughness / consistency
- Managing time when the client arrives with a long 'symptoms-list'
Why not consider a Non-Clinical Skills Certificate in Advanced Veterinary Consulting or Coaching Veterinary Consultations. Find out more and browse courses for your role at www.colourfulcpd.com/vets/courses.
What Our Clients Say
This course gave me the boost I needed to improve my consulting skills and has given me more
confidence when speaking to clients.