In order for dispensing to take place legally, as regulated by the Veterinary Medicines Directorate and the Royal College of Veterinary surgeons within their Practice Standards Scheme, anyone who handles a veterinary medicine must be deemed “competent” to do so. The Competent Veterinary Dispenser Award is a simple way to ensure that non-veterinary colleagues are compliant with these regulations.
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Interpret a prescription label.
- Identify the relevant medicine.
- Choose an appropriate dispensing container.
- Handle medicines safely.
- Perform cross-checks and identify near-misses and understand how they happen.
- Understand the 4 classifications of veterinary medicines
- Understand the relevance of off-label prescribing and the cascade.
- Understand the supply chain of veterinary medicines including ordering from wholesalers.
- Manage deliveries, stocking levels, storage requirements for various veterinary medications.
- Understand the regulations relating to the ordering, receipt, handling and storage of Controlled Drugs in veterinary practice.
If you'd like to further your knowledge and be able to prescribe and dispense certain categories of veterinary medicines, we suggest training to become a SQP. Colourful CPD does not offer SQP training, however we would recommend an organisation called Vetpol who run online SQP training and certification – please quote the referral from Colourful CPD.
Vetpol offers SQP training courses for the Companion Animal, Equine, Farm and Avian sectors and additional training and qualifications in all aspects of animal health and welfare.
What Our Clients Say
I have been a receptionist for 8 years and I really enjoyed this course. I have learnt so much about the dispensing process, thank you!